B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma presenting as tongue tumor
Sílvia Miguéis Picado Petrarolha, Ulisses Kiskissian Martins, Felipe Moraes Borlotti, Rogerio A. Dedivitis, Samuel Brunini Petrarolha
Introduction: When located in the oral cavity, the giant B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is a rare neoplasm. Its occurrence is not associated with either gender in particular and affects patients with an average age of between 50 and 60. Its distinctive features are nonspecific ulcerative lesions that do not heal. The case report concerns an elder patient diagnosed with a giant B-cell NHL located in the tongue. Case Report: Patient aged 86, male, sought aid at emergency room complaining from macroglossia and local pain. Physical examination revealed an increase in the volume of the tongue, besides hardening in the anterior third. A biopsy was carried out and the diagnosis was diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Discussion: NHL appearing in the head and neck show symptoms similar to those of squamous cell carcinoma (tumor mass or cervical lymphadenopathy); however, as the types of treatment for these two malignant neoplasms are highly different, differential diagnosis is extremely important.
1. Bechir A, Asma A, Haifa R, Nesrine A, Yosra BY, Badreddine S, Abderrahim K. Primary B cell lymphoma of the tongue base: a case report. Pan Afr Med J. 2016;25:174. http://dx.doi.org/10.11604/pamj.2016.25.174.9746. PMid:28292136.
2. Singh A, Sood N, Kaur H, Garg B, Munjal M. Primary diffuse large B cell lymphoma of the base of tongue: a rare entity. Am J Otolaryngol. 2014;35(3):435-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjoto.2013.12.017. PMid:24636915.
3. Owosho AA, Bilodeau EA, Surti U, Craig FE. Large B-cell lymphoma of the base of the tongue and oral cavity: a practical approach to identifying prognostically important subtypes. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2014;118(3):338-47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2014.06.002. PMid:25151588.
4. Freeman C, Berg JW, Cutler SJ. Occurrence and prognosis of extranodal lymphomas. Cancer. 1972;29(1):252-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197201)29:1<252::AID-CNCR2820290138>3.0.CO;2-#. PMid:5007387.
5. Takano S, Matsushita N, Oishi M, Okamoto S, Teranishi Y, Yokota C, Iguchi H. Site-specific analysis of B-cell non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas of the head and neck: a retrospective 10-year observation. Acta Otolaryngol. 2015;135(11):1168-71. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/00016489.2015.1061700. PMid:26113048.