Idiopatic bone cavity mimicking odontogenic tumor - case report
Idiopathic bone cavity is an intraosseous pseudocyst characterized by an empty or fluid-filled cavity, which most commonly affects the jaw. A male patient, 24 years of age, was referred for evaluation of multilocular radiolucent lesion, circumscribed in the left jaw region, which was identified during a routine radiographic examination. An incisional biopsy was performed, with a diagnostic hypothesis of ameloblastoma, where a small apparent bone fenestration and a complete absence of surgical site contents were observed. The diagnosis for idiopathic bone cavity was established by these transoperative characteristics. Regression of the intraosseous lesion was observed during the clinical and radiographic follow-up.
1. Velez I, Siegel MA, Mintz SM, Rolle R. The relationship between idiopathic bone cavity and orthodontic tooth movement: analysis of 44 cases. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2010;39(3):162-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/12528297. PMid:20203278.
2. Resnick CM, Dentino KM, Garza R, Padwa BL. A management strategy for idiopathic bone cavities of the jaws. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016;74(6):1153-8. http://dx.doi. org/10.1016/j.joms.2015.12.014. PMid:26850870.
3. Rivero ERC, Daltoé FP, Mello FW, de Souza CECP, Grando LJ. Aspiration and cytological evaluation of idiopathic bone cavities of the jaw. Tissue Cell. 2017;49(3):435-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tice.2017.03.005. PMid:28366535.
4. You MS, Kim DY, Ahn KM. Surgical management of idiopathic bone cavity: case series of consecutive 27 patients. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017;43(2):94-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5125/jkaoms.2017.43.2.94. PMid:28462193.
5. Tabrizi R, Karagah T, Shahidi S, Zare N. Does platelet-rich plasma enhance healing in the idiopathic bone cavity? A single-blind randomized clinical trial. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015;44(9):1175-80. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j. ijom.2015.05.011. PMid:26074365.