Pleomorphic adenoma of the larynx
Liliane Queiroz de Lira, Ana Karenina Nobre Fonseca de Souza, Alexandre Augusto Fernandes, Fábio Medeiros de Azevedo, Ivan Machado de Almeida Junior
A 47-year-old man, with complaints of dysphonia and snoring for 10 years, sought medical assistance and underwent physical evaluation and complementary tests that showed a non-infiltrative, well-delimited, approximately 3 cm-large nodular lesion in the supraglottic region, occluding the laryngeal aditus during inspiration. It evolved with need for tracheostomy, followed by lateral pharyngotomy for excision of the lesion. Histologic and immunohistochemical examinations confirmed the rare diagnosis of pleomorphic adenoma of the minor salivary gland located in the larynx. The patient is being followed up with improvement of the symptomatology and absence of lesion recurrence. Pleomorphic adenomas (PA) are heterogeneous benign tumors originating in the salivary gland.
1. Erdem MA, Çankaya AB, Guven G, Olgaç V, Kasapoglu Ç. Pleomorphic adenoma of the palate. J Craniofac Surg. 2011;22(3):1131-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0b013e3182108f8b. PMid:21586967.
2. Motahari SJ, Khavarinejad F, Salimi S, Bahari M. Pleomorphic adenoma of the larynx: a case report. Iran J Otorhinolaryngol. 2016;28(84):73-7. PMid:26878007.
3. Ribeiro-Rotta RF, Cruz ML, Paiva RR, Mendonça EF, Spinis TH, Mendonça AR. The role of magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of pleomorphic adenoma: literature review and case reports. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol (Engl Ed). 2003;69(5):699-707. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0034-72992003000500016.
4. Sawatsubashi M, Tuda K, Tokunaga O, Shin T. Pleomorphic adenoma of larynx: a case and review of the literature in Japan. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1997;117(4):415-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0194-5998(97)70137-2. PMid:9339807.
5. Dalati T, Hussein MR. Juvenile pleomorphic adenoma of the cheek: a case report and review of literature. Diagn Pathol. 2009;4:32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1746- 1596-4-32. PMid:19772659.