Transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy vestibular approach: initial experience and comparison with conventional thyroid surgery
Introduction: Recent interest of physicians and patients to prevent scars in the neck in thyroid surgery has fostered the development of several remote access techniques in recent decades. Among the various techniques developed, transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy vestibular approach (TOETVA) has shown to be a safe alternative, in selected cases, to conventional thyroidectomy. Objective: This study aimed to evaluate the results of TOETVA in patients with thyroid nodules and compare them with those in patients undergoing conventional thyroidectomy. Methods: Retrospective cohort study comparing 31 patients submitted to endoscopic versus 30 conventional thyroidectomies, regarding operative time, complications and pain scale. Results: Thirty-one cases of TOETVA were compared with 30 conventional thyroidectomies conducted in the same period in a tertiary care center. Similar complication rates were observed in both groups, with shorter operative time for endoscopic surgery compared with that of traditional access. Conclusion: TOETVA can be safely performed in selected cases, with similar complication rates, and shorter operative time compared with conventional thyroidectomy.
1. Torre LA, Bray F, Siegel RL, Ferlay J, Lortet-Tieulent J, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin. 2015;65(2):87-108. http://dx.doi.org/10.3322/caac.21262. PMid:25651787.
2. Wang C, Zhai H, Liu W, Li J, Yang J, Hu Y, Huang J, Yang W, Pan Y, Ding H. Thyroidectomy: a novel endoscopic oral vestibular approach. Surgery. 2014;155(1):33-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2013.06.010. PMid:23890962.
3. Anuwong A. Transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy vestibular approach: a series of the first 60 human cases. World J Surg. 2016;40(3):491-7. PMid:26546193.
4. Dionigi G, Bacuzzi A, Lavazza M, Inversini D, Boni L, Rausei S, Kim HY, Anuwong A. Transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy: preliminary experience in Italy. Updates Surg. 2017;69(2):225-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s13304-017-0436-x. PMid:28405949.
5. Russell JO, Clark J, Noureldine SI, Anuwong A, Al Khadem MG, Yub Kim H, Dhillon VK, Dionigi G, Tufano RP, Richmon JD. Transoral thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy: a North American series of robotic and endoscopic transoral approaches to the central neck. Oral Oncol. 2017;71:75-80. http://dx.doi. org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2017.06.001. PMid:28688695.
6. Razavi CR, Vasiliou E, Tufano RP, Russell JO. Learning curve for transoral endoscopic thyroid lobectomy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018;159(4):625-9. http://dx.doi. org/10.1177/0194599818795881. PMid:30126330.
7. Russell JO, Anuwong A, Dionigi G, Inabnet WB 3rd, Kim HY, Randolph G, Richmon JD, Tufano RP. Transoral thyroid and parathyroid surgery vestibular approach: a framework for assessment and safe exploration. Thyroid. 2018;28(7):825-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/thy.2017.0642. PMid:29790432.
8. Yang J, Wang C, Li J, Yang W, Cao G, Wong H, Zhai H, Liu W. Complete endoscopic thyroidectomy via oral vestibular approach versus areola approach for treatment of thyroid diseases. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2015;25(6):470-6. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/lap.2015.0026. PMid:26061132.
9. Witzel K, von Rahden BH, Kaminski C, Stein HJ. Transoral access for endoscopic thyroid resection. Surg Endosc. 2008;22(8):1871-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00464-007-9734-6. PMid:18163167.
10. Anuwong A, Sasanakietkul T, Jitpratoom P, Ketwong K, Kim HY, Dionigi G, Richmon JD. Transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy vestibular approach (TOETVA): indications, techniques and results. Surg Endosc. 2018;32(1):456-65. PMid:28717869.
11. Anuwong A, Ketwong K, Jitpratoom P, Sasanakietkul T, Duh QY. Safety and outcomes of the transoral endoscopic thyroidectomy vestibular approach. JAMA Surg. 2018;153(1):21-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.3366. PMid:28877292.
12. Chen S, Zhao M, Qiu J. Transoral vestibule approach for thyroid disease: a systematic review. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2019;276(2):297-304. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00405-018-5206-y. PMid:30460401.1