Carotid blow-out: A potentially fatal complication of cervical necrotizing fasciitis
Agnaldo José Graciano, Jéssica Horvat Pedro, Filipe Abel Ortolan, Djulia Adriani Frainer, Heloiza Fiamoncini
Necrotizing fasciitis is a potentially fatal soft tissue infection characterized by extensive necrosis of the subcutaneous tissue and fascia. Head and neck involvement is rare, being usually associated with dental or pharyngeal infections. This report presents a case of an alcoholic patient with dental infection progressing to necrotizing fasciitis in the cervical region and carotid necrosis with subsequent vessel rupture and death. The rupture of the carotid artery and cervical involvement by necrotizing fasciitis are uncommon and generally have unfavorable outcomes despite the advances in diagnosis and intensive care that reduced the morbidity and mortality rates of these diseases.
1. Gunaratne DA, Tseros EA, Hasan Z, Kudpaje AS, Suruliraj A, Smith MC, Riffat F, Palme CE. Cervical necrotizing fasciitis: Systematic review and analysis of 1235 reported cases from the literature. Head Neck. 2018;40(9):2094-102. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hed.25184. PMid:29934952.
2. McMahon J, Lowe T, Koppel DA. Necrotizing soft tissue infections of the head and neck: case reports and literature review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2003;95(1):30-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1067/moe.2003.15. PMid:12539024.
3. Beathard GA, Guckian JC. Necrotizing fasciitis due to group A beta-hemolytic streptococci. Arch Intern Med. 1967;120(1):63-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archinte.1967.00300010065011. PMid:5339238.
4. Zilberstein B, Cleva RD, Testa RS, Sene U, Eshkenazy R, Gama-Rodrigues JJ. Cervical necrotizing fasciitis due to bacterial tonsillitis. Clinics (São Paulo). 2005;60(2):177-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1807-59322005000200015. PMid:15880255.
5. Borno HK, Menendez RJ, Chaloupka JC, Dalley MT, Farcy DA. Carotid artery blowout producing massive hematemesis in the emergency department. J Acute Dis. 2016;5(2):165-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joad.2015.11.007.