Mandibular ameloblastoma treated by hemimandibulectomy and immediate free fibula flap reconstruction - a multidisciplinary approach: case report
Marco Túllio Becheleni, Felipe Eduardo Baires Campos, Paulo Roberto da Costa, Roberto Junqueira Polizzi, Wagner Henriques de Castro
Ameloblastoma is a benign epithelial odontogenic tumor that presents locally invasive behavior associated with high recurrence rates. This case report aims to describe and illustrate the treatment of an extensive mandibular ameloblastoma. A 23-year-old male patient affected by ameloblastoma in the left jaw, complaining of edema in the region, dysphagia, and limitation of cervical movements. Presence of clinically visible ulcerated mass involving the teeth. Computed tomography showed an intraosseous, hypodense, expansive, multiloculated lesion. Left hemimandibulectomy was performed, followed by immediate free fibula flap reconstruction. Mandibular reconstruction with free flaps is an excellent modality to treat extensive multicystic ameloblastoma.
1. Darshani Gunawardhana KS, Jayasooriya PR, Rambukewela IK, Tilakaratne WM. A clinico-pathological comparison between mandibular and maxillary ameloblastomas in Sri Lanka. J Oral Pathol Med. 2010;39(3):236-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2009.00850.x. PMid:20070485.
2. Kalaskar R, Unawane AS, Kalaskar AR, Pandilwar P. Conservative management of unicystic ameloblastoma in a young child: report of two cases. Contemp Clin Dent. 2011;2(4):359-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0976-237X.91804. PMid:22346168.
3. Chan JKC, El-Naggar AK, Grandis JR, Takata T, Slootweg PJ. WHO classification of head and neck tumours. 4th ed. Geneva: WHO; 2017.
4. Carvalho e Souza CH, Fé JLM, Sousa LLA, Borba MSDC, Barros SSLV, Lopes MCA. Radical management of aggressive lesions: a case report of recurrent ameloblastoma. RGO Rev Gaúch Odontol. 2015;63(3):327-30. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1981-863720150003000112674.
5. Oliveira BV, Ramos GHA, Pedruzzi PAG, Silva AB, Groth A, Sassi LM, Dissenha JL, Ribeiro R, Costa CN. Reconstrução da mandíbula utilizando o retalho microvascularizado de fíbula – 11 anos de experiência do Hospital Erasto Gaertner. Rev. Bras. Cir. Cabeça Pescoço. 2009;38(1):37-40.